Cheesy potato casserole, funeral potatoes, Relief Society potatoes--whatever you call them, they are unique to our Utah/Idaho Mormon culture. Having volunteered to provide them for a recent event, I realized that I didn't have a recipe. After some internet surfing, I used the KSL TV recipe hoping it was tested and trustworthy. But since they went straight to the church I have no idea how they tasted. I think the buttered cornflakes on top are essential, but what goes into your recipe? Do you have a favorite? Variations? Funny stories? I'd love to hear your ideas.
Being an Idaho native, I love potatoes in many varieties and forms. A few years ago, I was looking for a quick and tasty way to fix potatoes that might be a little less "comforting" than potato casserole. We started oven roasting our taters. Couldn't be easier. You can use red potatoes, yukons, sweet potatoes, Idaho bakers, even carrots or parsnips, in any combination you like.
Potatoes, washed, cubed (no need to peel)
Olive oil, 1-3 Tablespoons
1-3 cloves garlic, minced
Rosemary or thyme, fresh is good, finely chopped
Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper
Mix all together in shallow baking pan. Roast in pre-heated very hot oven, 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, stirring half way through. Potatoes should be golden and crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.

1 comment:
Nancy...I love roasted potatoes this way. I've always called them New potatoes....but it is the same.
Post a Comment